Running for Resolutions:
“GET FIT – SAVE MONEY – TRAVEL – SPEND TIME WITH FRIENDS AND FAMILY”
Sound Familiar? We’re not surprised! These are the most common New Years resolutions of all time. And while we are not surprised many people have better fitness, and saving money in mind directly following the too much turkey & expensive gifts for everyone months. It is interesting that more travel and time with friends and family are top of mind following the busiest airport/too many nights with the in-law’s season. All kidding aside: did you know that running can actually help you achieve not one but all of these resolutions? Here’s how:
Getting Fit: So this one isn’t exactly rocket science. Everyone knows that running and fitness go hand in hand. But do you know just how big of an impact running can have on improved health? According to Women’s Running, there are a number of huge health benefits to lacing up the sneakers and hitting the trails:
· Reduces the risk of breast cancer by 25%
· Reduces the risk of heart attack by 50%
· Running as little as 5 minutes per day can reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease by 45%
Saving Money: Here’s something you may not have thought of being associated with running. Sure, shoes and compression socks can be expensive but think about this:
· Running is an anywhere anytime activity. That means you don’t necessarily need that expensive gym membership. Even cross training could be achieved by using a small amount of home equipment versus monthly and annual fees to gyms that you likely aren’t going to use enough.
· Running reduces your desire to eat out… that’s right by starting to get fit you will likely begin preparing your own meals more often. That leads to huge savings on the monthly food bills.
· Run-commuting: Save money on gas, parking, vehicle maintenance and more by simply running to work a few times a week. You will better utilize your commute time by doubling it as a work out, and you will start your day feeling refreshed.
Travel: There is no better excuse to treat yourself to a trip then to run a goal race. If that race happens to be in a place that you have always wanted to go then so be it! After months of dedicated training you deserve a trip; you will enjoy your stay that much more knowing that you have accomplished not only your goal of visiting somewhere you have always wanted, but also your resolution to commit to fitness. No bikini diet necessary… you’ve already been training for a run J!
Time with Friends and Family: A family that runs together, stays together! Running is an activity that you can do with your friends and family. Instead of going out for dinner or having a movie night, why don’t you go out for a run together? Explore the place you live, run somewhere new, take a guided running tour... There are so many ways to enjoy running with your friends and family, and chances are you will meet some pretty cool people along the way that could join your running tribe!
From starting out with a few minutes a day, to tackling your first goal race, to challenging a personal best, running can help you achieve and enhance your goals. New Year’s resolutions can be tough to keep, we recommend taking them one step at a time.